ART MUSEUMS IN ARIZONA
Art Fortune provides you with a list to find the Arizona art museum you're looking for. There are enough resources here to find your Arizona art museum even if you're in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tucson, Prescott, Flagstaff, Tempe, Surprise, and Wickenburg. If you think we're missing an Arizona art museum or art gallery in Arizona, don't hesitate to give us a call or shoot us an email so we can add it!
Museum of Northern Arizona
3101 N. Fort Valley Rd.
The mission of the Museum of Northern Arizona is to inspire a sense of love and responsibility for the beauty and diversity of the Colorado Plateau through collecting, studying, interpreting, and preserving the region’s natural and cultural heritage.
The Museum reaffirms the core tenets of the mission established by the founders in 1928:
- Research – “to increase knowledge of science and art”
- Collections – “to collect and preserve objects of art and scientific interest”
- Education – “to diffuse knowledge and appreciation of science and art”
- Conservation – “to preserve and protect the region’s historic and prehistoric sites, works of art, scenic places, [plants], and wildlife from needless destruction”
- Place – “to maintain a museum in the city of Flagstaff that provides facilities for research and aesthetic enjoyment”
Founded in 1928 as a community effort by a group of Flagstaff citizens, the Museum of Northern Arizona (MNA) is a private, nonprofit institution that was originally established as a repository for Native American artifacts and natural history specimens from the Colorado Plateau. The original founders, zoologist Dr. Harold S. Colton and artist Mary-Russell Ferrell Colton, who were from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, were dedicated to preserving the history and cultures of northern Arizona.
2301 N. Central Avenue
Explore the museum’s rich history as one of the Phoenix area’s first cultural attractions, and see how the museum has grown to be one of the world’s finest destinations for learning about American Indian arts and cultures.
Learn how the Heard Museum was founded by in 1929 by pioneer Phoenix settlers Dwight B. and Maie Bartlett Heard and how the museum has grown.
Comprehensive collections, intriguing exhibitions, distinctive festivals and interactive learning opportunities combine to make today's Heard Museum an outstanding destination.
Community museums allow the Heard to share its collections and programs beyond the Downtown Phoenix campus to its satellite museum in North Scottsdale.
Phoenix Art Museum
1625 N. Central Avenue
Welcome to Phoenix Art Museum. The Southwest’s premier 203,000- square foot destination for world-class visual arts. Here you will be immersed in culture while viewing popular exhibitions that feature artists such as Rembrandt, Norman Rockwell, and Annie Leibowitz. Monet. And the list goes on.
Since 1959, The Phoenix Art Museum, designed by New York architects Tod Williams/Billie Tsien & Associates, has been the home of an outstanding collection of more than 18,000 works of American, Asian, European, Latin American, Western American, modern and contemporary art, and fashion design.
As Arizona’s cultural hub for nearly fifty years, Phoenix Art Museum presents festivals, live performances, independent art films and educational programs for people of all ages that will both enlighten and entertain.
The Phippen Museum
4701 Highway 89 North
George Phippen, first President of the Cowboy Artists of America, died in 1966, leaving behind a group of artists interested in creating a facility that specifically represented artists in the American West. In 1974, the George Phippen Memorial Foundation was formed to create a centralized venue that would fully support Western Art. With the assistance of a dedicated core of volunteers, the George Phippen Memorial Foundation began organizing fundraisers for the creation of their museum. The first annual Memorial Day Show was presented at the Prescott Public Library in 1974, featuring the finest of western sculptors and painters. For ten years, this show was the only financial means of the Foundation.
In the early 80s the James Family Trust donated a parcel of land to the Foundation to begin the construction of the building for the future Phippen Museum. With the funds from the Memorial Day Shows and this generous gift, the Phippen Museum was able to open its doors to the public on October 13, 1984.
At present, the Phippen Museum still presents the annual Phippen Museum Western Art Show and Sale on Memorial Day Weekend at the Courthouse Plaza in Prescott, Arizona. The Museum has also expanded, adding rooms specifically for the purpose of collection development and research. The staff has expanded from a core group of volunteers in 1984, to a full staff and Board of Trustees. Rotating exhibits are featured quarterly. The Museum presents educational programs to schools, adults and special interest groups from across the country. The Phippen Museum is one of three museums in Prescott and is proud to be the only art museum.
Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art
7374 East Second Street
SMoCA has distinguished itself over its ten year history because of its diverse exhibitions, programming and educational outreach. Because my family lives in the Valley, during the course of my 25 year career as a professor and curator I have had the opportunity to enjoy SMoCA’s wide-ranging exhibitions and programs. At SMoCA I was always reminded that significant social and aesthetic ideas of the past continue to be relevant for art of our time; good contemporary art always looks both backwards and forwards. In this time of change, art can remind us of our values, our shared humanity and the power of people to create wonder and beauty. As the new director of SMoCA, I am honored and privileged to share the bounty of art as a reminder of the true wealth of our community.
Ceramics Research Center, Tempe Center
ASU Art Museum,
With more than 3,500 objects and more than 5,000 square feet of open storage area, the Ceramics Research Center (CRC) is an important resource for artists, students and art enthusiasts to explore and enhance their understanding of the craft.
Tucson Museum of Art
140 North Main Avenue
First established in 1924 as the Tucson Fine Arts Association, the Museum made its home in the Kingan House on Franklin Street in the El Presidio Historic District. In 1954 the association was officially renamed the Tucson Art Center to establish our exhibition and education mission.
In 1975 the Tucson Art Center moved to its present location and became the caretaker of five historic properties--La Casa Cordova, Romero House, Edward Nye Fish House, Stevens/Duffield House and the J. Knox Corbett House - and our name was changed to the Tucson Museum of Art to reflect our collecting activities.
Today the Tucson Museum of Art and Historic Block encompasses an entire city block in historic downtown, and features original and traveling exhibitions focusing on Art of Latin America, Art of the American West, and Modern and Contemporary Art as well as tours, education programs, studio art classes, and Museum Store to delight and educate visitors. The Tucson Museum of Art serves the city and surrounding regions and is committed to broadening public access to the arts, enriching daily life.
The University of Arizona Museum of Art
The University of Arizona Museum of Art houses wide-ranging collections of over 5,000 paintings, sculptures, prints and drawings, with an emphasis on European and American fine art from the Renaissance to the present. Special holdings within the Museum's collections include:
The SAMUEL H. KRESS COLLECTION, given in the early 1950s, consists of more than 60 European paintings, sculptures and decorative objects dating from the 14th through the 19th centuries. A highlight of the collection is the 26 panel Retablo of the Cathedral of the Ciudad Rodrigo by 15th century Spanish painters Fernando Gallego and Maestro Bartolomé (and their workshops), which is not only the most important altarpiece produced by the Spanish masters, but is also perhaps the finest example of late Gothic Spanish painting in a U.S. collection. In addition the Kress holdings include paintings by Vittore Carpaccio, Jusepe de Ribera, Domenico Tintoretto, Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, Horace Vernet and Elisabeth Vigée-Lebrun.
The C. LEONARD PFEIFFER COLLECTION, donated in 1944 by a UA alumnus, is comprised of nearly 100 American paintings and drawings from the early 20th century. The collection includes works by John Sloan, Stuart Davis, Edward Hopper, Isabel Bishop, Jacob Lawrence, Reginald Marsh, John Steuart Curry, and Philip Evergood.
The EDWARD J. GALLAGHER, JR. MEMORIAL COLLECTION features more than 200 European and American paintings, sculptures and works on paper from the late 19th and 20th centuries. The sculpture holdings, considered one of the finest in the Southwest, include pieces by Auguste Rodin, Jean Arp, Aristide Maillol, Alexander Archipenko, Jacques Lipchitz, David Smith, Isamu Noguchi, Henry Moore, and Alexander Calder. The collection is particularly strong in Abstract Expressionism, with important paintings by Morris Louis, Jackson Pollock, Mark Rothko, Franz Kline and Robert Motherwell. Other artists represented include Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali, Joán Miró, Fernand Léger, Marc Chagall, Emil Nolde, and Kurt Schwitters.
THE JACQUES AND YULLA LIPCHITZ COLLECTION: SKETCHES AND MODELS, donated by the artist's widow in 1980, includes 60 plaster and clay models by Lipchitz, various tools from the artist's studio, numerous portrait busts, and several fully-realized sculptures. With its intensive focus on the work of a single artist and its chronological range, spanning 1911 to 1971, this comprehensive collection provides rare access to the working process of one of the most important sculptors of the Modern era.
The ROBERT MCCALL COLLECTION and the Archive of Visual Arts are our newest collecting initiatives.
The EDWARD J. GALLAGHER, JR. MEMORIAL BEQUEST, an endowment which funds the selective growth of the permanent collection, has made possible since 1980 the acquisition of more than 1,000 works of art, including pieces by Honoré Daumier, James McNeill Whistler, José Posada, Käthe Kollwitz, Frank Stella, Richard Diebenkorn, Helen Frankenthaler, Roy Lichtenstein, Robert Rauschenberg, Elizabeth Catlett, and Robert Colescott. The majority of the Gallagher Bequest acquisitions have augmented the Museum's substantial print collection, which has extensive WPA/FAP holdings in addition to significant representation by Old Masters such as Albrecht Dürer, Hendrik Goltzius, Jacques Callot, Rembrandt van Rijn, Giovanni Battista Piranesi, Francisco de Goya, William Blake, John Martin, and Eugène Delacroix.
Center for Creative Photography
The University of Arizona
The Center for Creative Photography holds more archives and individual works by 20th-century North American photographers than any other museum in the nation. These holdings include a research collection featuring the archives of over 50 photographers - Ansel Adams, Lola Alvarez Bravo, Richard Avedon, Louise Dahl-Wolfe, W. Eugene Smith, and Edward Weston among them. Archives include photographs, negatives, albums, work prints, manuscripts, audio-visual material, contact sheets, correspondence and memorabilia. CCP's art collection totals more than 80,000 works by 2,000 photographers.
Individuals or groups are invited to study works in the art collection by making an appointment. Researchers from all over the world visit the CCP to study the vast archives. CCP shares its collection with museums, educators, and publishers internationally through its Rights and Reproductions Department, with loans to exhibitions organized by other institutions and by offering original traveling exhibitions. Collection photographs and archival materials are on view in the Center's exhibitions and are reproduced in its publications; the Center also loans works from its holdings to other institutions.